Website BOCA Engineering
This new position reports to the President and has arisen through the growth of the business and expansion of operations.
On behalf of our client, BOCA Engineering, we are seeking a dynamic, progressive leader to join their Victoria office in the position of Structural Engineering Manager. This new position reports to the President and has arisen through the growth of the business and expansion of operations.
As the Structural Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for their technical team and the Vancouver Island operations, and this includes managing clients and developing strong, productive relationships with Island partners to expand the business. You will actively work and oversee project files, budgets, schedules and estimating. Our technical focus is primarily on the structural aspects of buildings with some cross-over into building science, fire protection and civil infrastructure. Projects are a diverse mix of evaluation, design and field work with a focus on building with new construction technologies.
As part of their dynamic team, your technical expertise, direct leadership style and inquisitive approach to the business will help make you successful in this role. They promise a positive culture of partnering, mentorship, and respect and meaningful career growth potential with the company.
Why join BOCA?
- Locally owned and operated
- Rewarding compensation package, including benefits
- Embracing innovative building science in Structural Engineering Design and new construction technologies
- Join a culture of growth and development starting from the hands-on technical operations to leading projects and client management
- Committing to enabling team members to reach their career aspirations and beyond
What is the job?
- Managing the consulting office technical operations, responsible for all aspects of projects and a staff of 3 EITs and/or Technologists, with the objective to grow to a team of 5-8 technical staff over next several years.
- Oversight of project estimating, client contracts and building close relationships with long-term clients in a key consultant role.
- Leading projects in a working and reviewing capacity, executing key tasks that involve:
- Structural design of residential and commercial buildings (foundation/frame and/or secondary components) for new construction, renovations and additions.
- Structural design of special (non-building) structures (e.g. bridges, towers, government/military infrastructure), often includes monitoring, testing, and follow-up evaluation and certifications.
- Field investigations at building failures sites (wind, water, fire) to assess cause and determine design solutions for remediation, often related to insurance claims.
- Quality Control activities such as writing work procedures, checklists, file organization, project lists, scheduling, renewals of evaluation reports and certifications.
- Support coordination of laboratory testing programs of structural and architectural components (e.g. ICFs, guardrails, exterior cladding), publishing of code evaluation compliance reports and engineering design guides for innovative new building products.
- Operating as a steward of leadership contributing to the success of the organization and those to which we serve.
What do you bring?
- Professional Engineer (licensed in BC), with a technical background in Structural and Building Sciences.
- 5+ years professional experience of progressive responsibility that includes:
- Working knowledge of Canadian and USA building codes and materials design standards.
- Team supervision and leadership, inclusive of technical oversight, hiring and performance coaching.
- Contacts within Vancouver Island construction industry such as architects, developers, contractors, regulators, trade associations, insurance agents, government and military an asset.
- Completion of multiple consulting projects as project leader relating to building design, evaluation of construction materials and methods, with deliverables of plan drawings and technical reports.
- Experience with budget of projects, staff/office profitability and production growth.
- Exceptional report formatting and persuasive writing style.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to further business growth.
- Driver’s Abstract required and personal vehicle insured for business use.
- Commitment to client service, technical excellence, teamwork, and career-personal growth.
BOCA Engineering Co. SPAR is a structural engineering company headquartered in Victoria, BC, serving the Vancouver-Island based construction industry and consulting on building with new innovation construction methods across Canada and USA. BOCA-SPAR provides services that include structural building designs for new construction and renovation, product code evaluations, laboratory testing programs, remediation assessments/solutions, and specialty (non-building) structure designs.
BOCA Engineering Co. SPAR is locally owned and operated, progressive and looking to add team members seeking a challenging and energetic workplace. A competitive pay structure and benefits package will be offered commensurate with experience.
If you are a Structural Engineering Manager who would love to join BOCA Engineering, you are encouraged to review the full Job Description and to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume and job-specific cover letter.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.