Website BOCA Engineering
BOCA’s Engineering Co-Op position is a stepping stone, intending to lead to full-time EIT employment after graduation.
We are inviting applications to join BOCA Engineering’s class leading engineering firm in the co-op position of Structural Engineering Co-op in Victoria, BC. Projects are a diverse mix of structural design and field work with a focus on building with new construction technologies. Committed to enabling team members to reach their career aspirations and beyond, we promise a positive culture of partnering, intrigue, mentorship, and respect.
This position is slated to begin in the May 2023 semester and is a minimum 8-month placement. In the case of students who have completed all academic coursework, a 4-month placement that extends to a full-time position will be considered. Application cover letters must specify the date/terms that you are applying for to work.
- Structural design of residential and small commercial buildings for new construction, renovations and additions. Focus is on developing “hands-on” engineering skills.
Primary duties include:
- Preparing structural drawings in CAD software and by hand drafting.
- Performing field reviews at construction sites of design projects while under construction to verify accuracy to design specifications.
- Structural calculations evaluating strength and deflection of components such as beams, columns, connections, shear walls, diaphragms, foundations.
- Writing reports of field inspections results.
- Quality Control activities such as writing work procedures, checklists, documentation and file organization, project list and schedule updates.
- Structural design of special (non-building) structures (e.g. bridges, towers, government/military infrastructure), often includes monitoring, testing, and follow-up evaluation and certifications.
- Field investigations at building sites to assess structural failures and determine design solutions for remediation, often related to insurance claims.
- Product evaluation of building components and assemblies though research and laboratory testing, including publishing of code evaluation compliance reports and engineering design technical guides.
- Performance evaluation of the strength attachment for seismic and wind pressure restraint of building components such as claddings, guard rails, mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Working under the direction of senior engineers on tasks relating to those technical items.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree student from an accredited University in Civil-Structural discipline.
- Hands-on work experience in a construction-related setting with structural materials and tools (e.g. labour and trades work, landscaping, fabrication shop).
- Trained and experienced using AutoCAD, Bluebeam, MS Word, MS Excel software.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license and personal vehicle available for business use.
- Commitment to client service, technical excellence, teamwork, and career-personal growth.
BOCA Engineering Co. SPAR is a locally owned and operated structural engineering company headquartered in Victoria, BC, serving the Vancouver-Island based construction industry and consulting on building with new innovation construction methods across Canada and USA. BOCA-SPAR provides services that include structural building designs for new construction and renovation, product code evaluations, laboratory testing programs, remediation assessments/solutions, and specialty (non-building) structure designs.
BOCA’s Engineering Co-Op position is a stepping stone, intending to lead to full-time EIT employment after graduation. We believe in developing leaders from the ground up, starting with hands-on technical operations, leading to project and client management, and then guided growth to the aspired seniority level. Team members are able to rotate through several roles in their interest areas, keeping work fresh and exciting while expanding skills and knowledge.
If you are interested in the Structural Engineering Co-op opportunity with BOCA Engineering, you are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume and job-specific cover letter.
We thank all applicants who apply; however, after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.