Website St. Michaels University School (SMUS)
In this brand-new role you will oversee the development and implementation of HR strategies, policies, and programs that support SMUS’s mission, vision and strategic priorities.
On behalf of St. Michaels University School (SMUS) we have an opportunity for a Director of Human Resources to join their upbeat and collaborative team in Victoria, BC. In this brand-new role, the Director of Human Resources will oversee the development and implementation of HR strategies, policies, and programs that support SMUS’s mission, vision and strategic priorities. Reporting to the Head of School and in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team you will ensure effective talent management, faculty and staff engagement, and compliance with all employment laws and regulations.
Do you bring proven experience with all aspects of human resources management including compensation, recruitment, and performance management? Do you thrive when working with diverse stakeholders and sharing your passion for the benefits of well thought out human resources strategies? Would managing and mentoring a small human resources team and ensuring they have the skills and support required to perform at a high level be rewarding for you? Is working in a positive environment with colleagues who are engaged and enjoying a real work/life balance important to you? If you have answered “yes,” keep reading as this may be an opportunity worth applying for!
What makes St. Michaels University School a great employer?
St. Michaels University School is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Their students, from over 30 countries, are offered opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service, and outdoor education.
When you join their culture of excellence, you will be making a difference and supporting their vision for students to learn, to lead and to serve, all while developing your career. In their beautiful work environment, you will also enjoy:
- Competitive compensation including a salary of $110,000 – $120,000 based on related experience and education.
- Extensive health benefits that start on your date of hire
- A strong RRSP matching program
- A tuition discount for your children if accepted to the school
What could your day as the Director of Human Resources hold?
- Develop and execute a Human Resources strategy that aligns with SMUS’s mission, vision and strategic priorities, and ensure that policies and procedures align with best practices.
- Lead and coordinate all recruitment related activities in partnership with the leadership team and provide recommendations regarding recruitment and retention strategies.
- Ensure timely communication of all faculty and staff appointments, departures and employment changes.
- Responsibility for hiring, retirement and termination processes, including preparation of appropriate documentation and managing the onboarding and exit process.
- Work in collaboration with the CFO to ensure the School’s compensation structure remains competitive.
- Act as an effective and empathetic listener providing advice to both staff and leaders, and ensuring issues are dealt with in a fair and consistent manner.
- Responsible for the review and maintenance of an effective HRIS to ensure employee records are maintained and updated in an efficient manner.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legal and legislative practices established in the areas of employment standards, human rights, and health and safety and ensures that all School policies and practices are compliant and are applied consistently.
This is only a sampling of what your day could hold. To learn more about this new role, please review the full Job Description.
Our ideal Director of Human Resources brings:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related discipline with an emphasis on Human Resources Management.
- 7+ years of progressive Human Resource management experience gained in a spectrum of different types of organizations in both hands-on and business advisor roles.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) certification an asset.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing policies and programs that support strategic goals, and strong experience with compensation design, recruitment, employee relations and performance management.
- Strong knowledge of employment legislation at both the Federal and Provincial level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and experience with HR Information systems.
Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge that will help you thrive in this role:
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, presentation and change management skills.
- Supportive and empathetic with sound judgment, and a high level of integrity and ethical conduct in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to set goals and manage multiple projects and initiatives with excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
How to apply:
After reading the full Job Description if you bring the skills and experience required to excel in this role and would love to join a culture where people from all backgrounds and walks of life can flourish, then forward your confidential application to TallSky Consulting.
TallSky is committed to supporting our clients in building inclusive cultures that embrace differences. Our approach reflects professional employment equity practices, and we believe in celebrating each candidate’s uniqueness. Diverse teams learn how to communicate respectfully, deliver more innovative solutions, and are better positioned for long-term success.
This position will remain open until it is filled. We thank all applicants; however, after initial acknowledgement, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.