A 23-year-old client with diverse abilities
Opportunity for an energetic and upbeat Community Support Worker to support our outgoing and social 23-year-old male client with diverse abilities.
We have a new full-time opportunity in Duncan, BC, for an energetic and upbeat Community Support Worker to support our outgoing and social 23-year-old male client with diverse abilities. (Two part-time Community Support Workers sharing the role may also be a possibility.)
In this important role you will assist our client with all the activities of daily living including personal, social, physical, recreational, vocational, and educational needs. You will utilize your robust knowledge of theory, principles, and practices in the care of persons with diverse abilities and your positive and friendly attitude to support our client in helping him to achieve his life goals.
A little about our client:
Our client is an extremely outgoing and social young man who is very easy to work with (his last support worker supported him for 10 years!) and he really enjoys an upbeat and positive attitude. He benefits from a highly structured schedule filled with both activity and leisure time. Much of his life is scheduled around activities that are designed to maximize independence and encourage responsibility and participation.
What could your day include?
- A lot of variety!
- Interesting conversations while he enjoys the hot tub and helping him shower, dress, brush teeth, etc.
- Transporting him to appoints and activities
- Helping him experience diverse activities (his current favourites are playing bocce, bowling, swimming and going to the train)
- Helping him make new connections in the community
- Overseeing his chores and cooking meals twice a week
- Helping him set and achieve his life goals
If you would thrive in a role where you can help a young man gain independence and you have been described by your clients as fun, upbeat, patient, caring, organized and focused, then please review the full Job Description to learn what your day may hold.
Our client offers:
- Salary of $30/hour commensurate with your experience and reviewed annually
- A full-time permanent position – Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (2 part-time Community Support Workers sharing the role is also a possibility)
- Location of work: a private residence in Duncan, BC
- 2 Weeks of vacation
- 14 statutory holidays including Easter Monday, Christmas Eve, and Boxing Day
Our ideal Community Support Worker brings:
- A Diploma in Human/Social Services field, or a combination of education, training, and experience.
- A minimum of 2 years of recent related experience supporting an individual with diverse abilities with all the activities of daily living and helping them to achieve their goals.
- Knowledge of theory, principles, and practices in the care of persons with diverse abilities is required.
- Certificate in First Aid with CPR and AED
- Experience providing personal care (e.g., showering, shaving, teeth brushing and partial help with dressing)
- Experience working in a one-on-one setting
- Able to work in a home environment
- Strong physical ability and stamina are required to minimize the risk of injury as you will spend a lot of time standing, walking, and maneuvering our client with mobility issues.
- A Ministry of Justice Vulnerable Sector Clearance Letter and a Criminal Record Check is required prior to hiring
- A clean Driver’s Abstract is required
- Applicant must be fully vaccinated
These Skills and Abilities will help you thrive:
- Patient, caring, and ability to work respectfully with individuals with diverse abilities
- Fun and upbeat, with a positive and friendly attitude and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and execution oriented
How to Apply:
After reviewing the full Job Description to learn more about this opportunity, qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in confidence to TallSky Consulting with a resume that clearly demonstrates how you meet the requirements of this position.
TallSky is committed to supporting our clients in building inclusive cultures that embrace differences. Our approach reflects professional employment equity practices, and we believe in celebrating each candidate’s uniqueness. Diverse teams learn how to communicate respectfully, deliver more innovative solutions, and are better positioned for long-term success.
This opportunity will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants who apply; however, after initial acknowledgment, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.